Drunk guy seen carrying seagull around shop on CCTV before throwing bird at stranger

CCTV footage has emerged of Paul Elcombe carrying a live seagull around a convenience store late at night before throwing the bird at another man

Video loading

Video unavailable

Plymouth: Man jailed after attacking stranger with seagull

A drunk man was caught on CCTV carrying a seagull around a shop before throwing the bird at a man and breaking his jaw.

Paul Elcombe, 29, picked up the distressed seagull after it was hit by a car in the middle of the night and showed it to customers at Premier Stores in Mutley Plain, Plymouth.

Things turned sour when Elcombe, who had been drinking for two days, threw the seagull at Kyle Murray-Towers before kicking and punching him while he was on the ground, PlymouthLive reported.

Fortunately, the bird was captured by CCTV flying away unscathed.

Paul Elcombe picked up the injured bird and paraded it to a convenience store in Plymouth in May 2019


Crown Prosecution Service)

Elcombe, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to assault causing grievous bodily harm without intent on May 12, 2019.

He was jailed for 16 months and two weeks at Plymouth Crown Court last month after the pandemic forced the cancellation of several hearings in the years following the incident, with prosecutors dropping a charge of attempting to injure the bird after Elcombe’s imprisonment.

Mr Elcombe’s solicitor told the judge that Elcombe was driving home after drinking when he met the stranger and they started chatting.

He told the court he saw the injured seagull and picked it up for safety around 5 a.m.

He was imprisoned for 16 months and two weeks after the attack


Devon and Cornwall Police / SWNS)

Defense lawyer Ali Rafati said the bird’s passive manner in the footage showed it may have been cut by a car and left slightly confused. It doesn’t seem to struggle or flap its wings when being carried around the store.

Mr Rafati said Elcombe’s intention was to put the seagull safely on a low roof, but he changed his mind and decided to show it in the shop.

The accused left with the bird and entered nearby Lisson Grove where he threw it at the man, who fell to the ground and Elcombe then launched a series of punches and kicks to the head .

Elcombe was sentenced at Plymouth Crown Court last month


Plymouth Live Photographer)

Kyle Murray-Towers is seen staggering in a nearby lane where a witness from nearby Goodbody’s cafe saw Elcombe hit him with a belt.

Mr Elcombe failed to post bail while attending his trial in June last year. The judge added two additional weeks for this offence.

Two of the hearings had been canceled due to Covid and had been booked four times in total for trial.

Mr Elcombe told the court he launched the attack after the stranger insulted his mother.

Read more

Read more

Comments are closed.