Life-threatening blue-green algae found at Sloan Lake


DENVER – Dog walkers must make sure their pets avoid the water in Lake Sloan’s after Denver public health officials detected potentially deadly blue-green algae blooms at the popular spot this week .

The Denver Department of Public Health and Environment (DDPHE) has previously posted signs warning people not to let their pets drink or play in the water, after tests came back positive for the toxin.

Blue-green algae can poison not only dogs, cats, livestock, wildlife, birds and fish, but also humans, causing neurological problems and liver failure, leading to death, officials said. city ​​health department in a press release.

The water containing the toxic algae blooms looks like pea-green paint or mud on the surface, DDPHE said, adding that algae usually thrives when the weather is hot (over 75 degrees) and sunny. The poisonous algae also often stinks, sometimes producing a foul odor that attracts animals, officials said.

What to do if your dog comes in contact with blue-green algae

If your dog has a harmful bloom, health officials advise you to immediately rinse your pet with cool, clean water. If you come into contact with the flower, wash it off immediately with soap and water.

If your pet has been poisoned by algae, it will show symptoms ranging from 15 minutes to several days, including diarrhea or vomiting, weakness or staggering, drooling, difficulty breathing, and convulsions or convulsions, according to city health officials.

Pets can die within hours of consuming the seaweed and people can get sick and have symptoms such as headaches, diarrhea, weakness and liver damage, they added.

While fishing is still allowed at Sloan Lake, DDPHE officials urged people to rinse the fish well and throw out the entrails.

The DDPHE said it believes the algal blooms will stay in the lake for at least a month or until temperatures start to cool.


Comments are closed.