News Transcript Schedule, October 5
• The Manalapan-Englishtown The Regional School District Board of Education will hold the following meetings, open to the public: October 11, 7:30 p.m., regular action meeting at Wemrock Brook School, 118 Millhurst Road, Manalapan; and October 18, 7:30 p.m., regular action meeting at Wemrock Brook School, 118 Millhurst Road, Manalapan.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Historic Battery Lewis Tours on October 8, 9, 15 and 16 from 12-4 p.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, Highlands (Rocky Point section). Visit the restored historic Battery Lewis and learn about the history of this important former coastal defense site. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Seabrook-Wilson House Tours on October 9, 16, 23 and 30 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Bayshore Waterfront Park in Middletown. Visit this house, which dates back to the early 1700s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and see exhibits about the ecology of the bay and local history. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host the Casual Birder on October 11 at 9 a.m. at the Manasquan Reservoir Environmental Center, Howell. Join a park system naturalist for a morning bird walk (90 minutes). Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will hold a cooker demonstration on October 8 and 22 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. See what’s simmering on the wood stove and learn how recipes, cooking techniques and cuisines have changed since the 1890s. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will be hosting an Awesome Autumn Amble on October 12 from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Huber Woods Environmental Center, Middletown (meet in the yard) and October 26 from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Manasquan Reservoir Environmental Center, Howell (meet on the car park). Explore the trails with a park system naturalist and discuss plant and animal phenomena. Open to all ages; under 18 with an adult. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Accordion Melodies of the 1890s on October 15 from 1-3pm at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Listen to melodies from the 1890s played on the accordion. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Thompson Park Day on October 16 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Thompson Park, Lincroft. Enjoy this fun family event that includes pumpkin painting, wagon rides, kiddie races, entertainment and more. Some activities are chargeable. Admission and parking are free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Piano Ballads from the Turn of the Century on October 22 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Tap your feet, dance a step or sing along to popular ballads from the early 19th century as they are played around the farm. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host Nature on the Move on October 23 at 3 p.m. at the Manasquan River Greenway, Howell (meet at the Winter Run Activity Center). Look for the park system’s colorful Nature on the Move van and join a park system naturalist for a hands-on, interactive 30-45 minute program. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host a Nature Lecture Series – The True Story of the Jersey Devil on October 27 from 7-8pm at the Bayshore Waterfront Activity Centre, Port Monmouth. Learn about the history and folklore of the Jersey Devil during this lecture by a park system naturalist. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Monmouth County Park System will host a 19th Century Carpentry Demonstration on October 29 from noon to 3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel.
Discover how a carpenter studies his materials, handles his tools and makes beautiful and functional objects. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Meetings of the Freehold Borough K-8 School District Board of Education originally scheduled for October 10-24 has been cancelled. The board will meet at 7 p.m. on October 17 at the Park Avenue Complex, 280 Park Ave. The meeting will be held in person and remotely. On the day of the meeting, go to www.freeholdboro.k12.nj.us to find out how to call and join the meeting.
• Thompson Park Day will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on October 16 at Thompson Park, 805 Newman Springs Road (Route 520), Lincroft. Activities include kiddie races, archery, pumpkin painting, wagon rides and more. Highlights include a Scarecrow Contest and a Spooktacular Jack O’ Lantern Contest. Details of these competitions are available online at www.MonmouthCountyParks.com. Some activities are chargeable. Admission and parking are free.
• Exciting performances and engaging activities await local kids from 1 to 4 p.m. on October 8. This is when the World Diversity Day Children’s Festival is held at Topanemus Lake Park, Pond Road, Freehold Township. The outdoor family event will celebrate diverse cultures and encourage acceptance of others with stories, songs, dance, crafts, choirs, book giveaways and more. The festival, which is free and open to the public, will feature live entertainment and hands-on activities ideal for children aged 5-10. For more information, contact Rick Aaronson at 732-740-3806 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rutgers Master Gardeners from Monmouth County will present Birds, Bugs and Beyond,
Celebrate Nature, a free outdoor festival for kids of all ages, from noon to 4 p.m. on October 8 (rain or shine) at the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Agriculture Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold Township. There will be nature-inspired activities, crafts and educational exhibits, 4-H animals, insects and reptiles, and more. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Details: 732-303-7614.
• The holidays made in Monmouth, the event will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on December 10 at the Robert J. Collins Arena on the campus of Brookdale Community College, Route 520, Lincroft (original date was December 3). Seller registration will open at 10 a.m. on September 27. Details: 732-431-7387.
• The 13th edition Foodstock will take place on October 15 at Freehold Township Independent Fire Company No. 1, Stillwells Corner Road, Freehold Township, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Foodstock NJ meets the needs of less fortunate community members who struggle to put food on the table. Everyone is invited to participate in Foodstock. Suggested donations are non-perishable food items, a tax-deductible monetary donation, or a Foodstock T-shirt sponsorship ($250 or $500). All are welcome to enjoy a day of music, food and fun. Each participant is asked to provide at least 50 pounds of non-perishable food. Details: foodstocknj.org
• At Marty’s The Howl-o-Ween Family Festival will be held from noon to 5 p.m. on October 22 at Marty’s Place, 118 Route 526, Upper Freehold Township. All proceeds will benefit senior dogs cared for by Marty’s Place. This is a dog friendly event. Highlights will include canine costume contests, a leisurely walk, agility demonstrations, wagon rides, a pet photo booth, police dog demonstrations, live music from AlterEgo, vendors, food trucks and more. All humans and dogs are welcome to dress up. Prizes will be awarded in several categories. Admission is $5 for adults; children under 6 are free.
• Dove Palliative Care Services of New Jersey is looking for volunteers who are ready to make a difference to people living with the challenge of end of life. Volunteers dedicate a small amount of time each month to provide friendly tours; play cards; sewing, knitting or craft projects; musical enrichment; animal therapy; and clerical or administrative assistance. Dove Hospice Services is also looking for veterans who want to offer compassion, support and awareness to other veterans and their families. Visits can be made to people living in institutions or in private homes. Ongoing training is provided. Volunteers must be 18 or older and a COVID vaccine is required. Details: Michelle Rutigliano, 732-405-3035.
• Freehold Elks Lodge #1454 will host an All-U-Can-Eat Sunday Breakfast from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on the third Sunday of each month at the Lodge, 73 E. Main St., Freehold Borough. Full menu cooked to order. Adults, $11; children 12 and under, $5.
• A farmer’s market will take place every Friday from July to October, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Monmouth County Hall of Records Square, Main Street, Freehold Borough.
• Monmouth County Officials have scheduled the following paper shredding events: October 8, Freehold Township Municipal Building, 1 Municipal Plaza. All shredding events will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. County residents can shred up to 100 pounds of documents. Large binder clips should be removed from documents; staples and paper clips can remain. Information about paper shredding events and recycling is available on the recycling section of the county website, www.visitmonmouth.com, or call 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
• Women of color The discussion group is an online meeting held once a month (third Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.) to discuss issues, coping strategies, and resources relevant to women of color. Offered by the Mental Health Association of New Jersey. The next meeting dates are October 18, November 22 and December 20. Email email@example.com to receive a link.
• “A gathering of women of Color” is an online group that meets once a month for all LGBTQ women of color from the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color community. The group is an open discussion on several topics. The group meets the first Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. The next dates are October 6, November 3 and December 1. Offered by the Mental Health Association of New Jersey, the agency’s PEWS program and the Emotional Support for Families of Color Initiative. To receive a link, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Samaritan Center operates a food pantry to provide extra food to people in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Morganville, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For more information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Cash and food donations are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center.
Agenda items can be sent to email@example.com. Please send items at least two weeks before a scheduled event.